The chart of the week looks at a survey of student loan borrowers and their ability to start paying off those loans should the payment freeze end. Only 24% of those surveyed said they would be able to make the payments without decreasing spending in other areas. What this means is the other 76% will spend less in other areas that drive the economy in order to make these payments. We have discussed consumer spending many times as it is about 2/3 of GDP growth. Student loan payment restarting along with dwindling COVID-era savings could be headwinds to economic growth.

Recent Post